S&D is always on the look-out for talented people to join our team. We seek positive, professional employees who are committed to providing a high quality work product and personalized service to our clients. We value initiative, dependability, and integrity.
S&D offers a stimulating work environment, which promotes both professional and personal growth. We strive to provide opportunities which will enable our staff to achieve their goals. We encourage interaction and mentoring with an “open door” policy.
We are pleased to share with you the following details about the positions within our firm. Please feel free to contact us any time to inquire about available positions at S&D.
Our associate positions demand strong research, writing, and decision-making skills, and the ability to aggressively handle cases. Associates “hit the ground running.” They are independently responsible for maintaining their own case loads. They handle all facets of their cases from initial opening through settlement or jury trial, including initial assessments, valuations, written discovery, depositions, medical history evaluations, research, motions, briefing, court appearances, trial preparation, and overall file management. In addition, our associates provide support to senior associates and shareholders. We equip each attorney at our firm with a laptop and iPhone, both of which allow for increased effectiveness and flexibility. S&D pays for the attorneys’ professional liability insurance, State Bar membership dues, and all Continuing Legal Education courses.
Associates take part in a quarterly bonus program wherein they are monetarily rewarded for “extra” hours billed per month. We have found this incentive program to be motivating for our associates, as it rewards them for extra effort, while at the same time does not penalize an employee for not reaching a certain number of hours, as is the case in so many other types of bonus programs. Achieving shareholder status at S&D is determined on a case-by-case basis, and is based on performance, client development, and leadership potential within the firm.
( Back to top )
S&D’s assistants enjoy a diverse, fast-paced work experience. We typically assign two attorneys to each assistant. This position requires a high rate of typing speed, along with excellent proofreading, transcription, and organizational skills. Those assistants who possess the ability to maintain a high level of productivity in a demanding environment are most successful in our firm. Some of the job duties include:
- Transcription from machine dictation of all types of legal correspondence and court pleadings;
- Organizing, analyzing, and routing daily mail;
- Maintaining attorneys’ calendars, scheduling appointments, setting up conference calls, and making travel arrangements;
- Maintaining files including opening new matters, filing regularly, creating pleadings indexes, and keeping information up-to-date;
- Requesting, organizing, and summarizing medical records;
- Summarizing deposition transcripts;
- Assisting with trial preparations;
- Routing invoices and handling some aspects of billing and timekeeping when needed;
- Coordinating copy jobs and handling out-going mail; and
- Assisting with phone coverage
S&D encourages teamwork and strong communication among the legal assistant staff members. The assistants play a significant role in setting the quality standards of our work and in suggesting innovative ideas on improving our office procedures. S&D allows for advancement opportunities within the firm, and encourages staff members to pursue continued education for career development purposes.
( Back to top )
Our firm has hired law students on a full time and part time basis to act as law clerks. This position requires strong research and writing skills. Clerks assist our attorneys with written discovery, deposition preparation, medical history evaluations and summaries, research, writing, and other miscellaneous tasks related to overall case management. Although not guaranteed, the possibility exists for advancement into a permanent associate attorney position at S&D for the clerks who display exceptional skills and talents.
( Back to top )
- Health/Vision and Dental Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Safe Harbor 401(k) Investment Plan
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Medical Disability Benefits
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Parking
- Two Weeks Paid Vacation, commencing after 60 days of service
- Other perks include staff outings, luncheons, and holiday events
( Back to top )